Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Daddy

I was very blessed in life to have two wonderful parents who loved us and each other.  When I was very young my Dad was diagnosed with cancer.  After chemo and other treatment it went into remission.  I never forgot that we were lucky to still have him with us.  I loved him.

When I was almost 16 he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and given eighteen months to two years.  He fought his best, more chemo, more horrible treatments and hospital stays and a lot of misery.  He didn't complain though, at least not to me.

A random little story: One day I came home from school and my Dad was just sitting on the couch, which was getting more and more common.  I asked him how he was feeling.  He told me "Alli, I hope there are peach rainbows and Mt. Dew in heaven."

I hope there are too Dad.

Losing my Dad at seventeen sucked.  It's too young to lose a parent, and my Mom was too young to lose a spouse, and my Dad- at 48 years old - was too young to die.

It was less than a year later that I found out I was pregnant.

Many people ask me why I chose adoption for my baby, and maybe this will help answer some of that question.  I've had a father, and I've been without a father.

Life is better with a good Dad.  I gave Samantha a good Dad, and I'm glad for it.  Know who else has a good Dad?  My Ava Belle.

Dad's take you on walks in the park.

Dad's read you your first books.

Dad's help you open your very first Christmas presents.

Dad's help you play with your very first Christmas presents.

Dad's are the MOST fun while swimming.

Dad's let you drive!  (Don't worry, the car was off)

Dad's hold you when you're sick, and chances of being barfed on are good.

I love my Dad, I love Ava's Dad, I love my Step Dad, I love my Dad in law and I love Samantha's Dad.  Nothing quite like a good Dad.  Don't forget to love the "Dad's" in your life, no matter who they might be.

5 comments:

Amberlee said...

Love this! Your dad was a great man! Glad you still have great dads in your life. Love ya!!

Mackey Family said...

Loved this post. I am a little teary eyed about it. I love your new blog by the way. Thanks for sharing!!

Kellie said...

Awesome post

Sterling Bo said...

You know my thoughts on this. I'm bawling. Wonderful post. <3

SimplyKimie said...

Alli I LOVED your Dad & I LOVE your Mom. They were such powerful examples to me when I lived in the 9th Ward. I loved your Dad's sense of humor. He always seemed so shy and quiet, but he could be HILARIOUS!! I also appreciated his powerful testimony. You were SO fortunate to have such wonderful strong parents, which explains your strength and wisdom. You get it from them. I think you are a remarkable woman!! Don't let ANYONE ever tell you otherwise! I am so very proud of you! Hugs!
Kim McNamara