Friday, June 1, 2012

Meet My Soapbox

People will probably get mad at my for this post.  Sorry folks.

Children.
I love my kids.  Davin and I say "she's so cute" or "she's so smart" or "the baby is kicking!" about a thousand times a day.  It would probably make anyone else gag, the way we gush about this two year old.  But whatever, we love the crap out of her.

But guess what?  Having a child is hard.  It is really freaking hard, ok?

I know what you're thinking because I've heard it all.

"Oh my, I can't believe that, she should be grateful she has kids."
or
"If she wasn't ready to deal with the ups and downs of children she shouldn't have them yet."

I say:  PFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTT.

I am super grateful for my children.  I am extremely blessed to have healthy pregnancies and healthy kids.
I KNOW THIS.

This little stinker is still hard.
The day (yes, one day) I tried to potty train her?  She peed on my pants.  And her pants.  And her dress, three pairs of underwear and the bathroom floor.

When I try to take her grocery shopping?  She will not sit in the cart.  She screams like the world is ending if I try.  Then I get super duper evil looks from all who pass by.  If I let her walk she walks in front of people no matter how hard I try to keep her next to me.  Then I get super duper evil looks from all who pass by.

When it's time to come in from playing outside?  She has a meltdown that ends up with her falling and hitting her head on the cement and then screaming "I want Daddy!" to the joy of all of my neighbors.

We wont even start on the two months she spent crying 5-8 hours a day.  Ah, colic.

But, at the end of the day, while I'm standing in front of her bedroom door making sure she doesn't escape for a fourth time, I just sit and tell God how grateful I am that she's in our home.  Literally.

So next time one of your friends/sisters/coworkers complains about her child?
Give the poor lady a break.  In two minutes she'll be laughing to herself about something cute they did three days ago.

If you got to the end of this post you deserve a reward.  Like a very good child.

5 comments:

The Pienezzas said...

I love this post! I feel the same way! I really think Ava and Olivia were best buds in heaven, they are the same! :) Kids are SOOOO HARD! when olivia had colic i tried to take her to costco, i had one lady trying to rush me to the pharmacy to see what i could give her to make her stop crying, and another lady tell me i should really get her out of the store. I think its esecially hard when they act out in public, cause nobody wants to be that mom that you see yellimg at her kids in the store! lol! I dont think there is a mom out there who doesnt feel this way sometimes, even if they dont say it! :) If you ever need a break bring Ava over we would LOVE to play!

Katrina Mortensen said...

Oh I couldnt agree with you more!!! Its hard some days I want to cry and I have. I love my kids so much they mean everything to me. I do not like when people say things without thinking and make u feel like a horrible parent!!

Emily Sims said...

AGREE!!! i hate people that think that way, just because you say it is hard to be a mom doesn't mean you don't love your children. if you didn't want kids, you wouldn't have had kids, duh!!

Jamie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! I stinkin' love my kids like nothing I've ever experienced before, but oh my gosh they can make me so mad!! I truly hate going in public with them, about 80% of the time. I keep wondering how long this phase will last. I don't want them to grow up too fast, but I'm looking forward to the days when I don't have to worry about fits and being embarrassed because of the way my child is behaving. One day....

Curtis and Marissa said...

agreed. remember....more "Good Luck's" and less "congratulations" :)