"The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel."
Tell me I'm not the only one who does this. It's all facebooks fault. It's the worst in the summer, when all anyone posts pictures of is their Hawaii vacations or their weekend boating trips. When they talk about buying four new swimsuits or how fun it is to cruise in their convertibles.
Here's a secret: we're a little bit super poor.
Here's another secret: I don't actually mind much.
We have everything we need. We have two cars and our own apartment, and those are big blessings. But besides that, we don't have a lot.
We don't buy new clothes
I don't get my hair colored anymore
Neither of us has had a new pair of shoes in...I don't know how long
We don't have a washing machine, we have to walk our laundry next door to my parents house
Ava wears (super cute) hand-me-downs
and none of it bothers me much.
But I can't help compare our very simple lives to the lives of those facebook friends who seem to have it all. Time for me to stop comparing my "behind-the-scenes" to everyone else's "highlight reel" and remember that everyone has problems. Everyone has bad days and something I know from experience: Money cannot buy happiness.
Plus, Davin is getting through school without us going into major debt, and I can't help but be grateful for that!

4 comments:
I often, often struggle with comparing myself to others. I think its human nature, inside all of us. But, a poor life (we are super duper poor) can be beautiful and enjoyable! We need to hang out! Also, getting through school without heaps of student loans is a huge accomplishment, keep it up and be proud!
Facebook always reminds me of everything I haven't yet done or could have done instead of my life going the way it has. But I love my life and wouldn't trade it for anything!
I'll have to remember that quote. It's seems that I also do compare myself to others at times.
omg i love that quote and i am at fault for comparing myself to others or even my situation to others!! but im pretty happy with my life and what i do have!! :) and girl, i color my hair from the box lol.
Post a Comment